How to gather life stories
To preserve your family history for future generations, it’s best to get the elders of the family involved. Here are some tips for recording your family history:
- Prepare questions in advance.
- Decide if your family dynamic lends itself to a group discussion, or individual interviews.
- Gather old family photos to help spur memories.
- Set aside a quiet time and place free from interruptions.
- Using a tape recorder or video recorder is a good idea, because it frees you from trying to frantically take notes while your family is speaking. It’s more like a conversation.
- Listen attentively and gently.
- Ask questions for clarification if something isnít clear.
- Donít try to force the person into something they are uncomfortable discussing.