Kale Shitake Sweet Potato Soup
Yield: 6 servings
3 dried shitake mushrooms, broken into pieces
1 small sweet potato, peeled, chopped
1/2 bunch fresh kale
4 cups water or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon Mellow white miso, per cup
1. In a saucepan combine the water/broth, shitake mushrooms and sweet potato and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, wash and chop the kale into bite size pieces and add to the soup.
4. Cook until tender, another 8 minutes.
5. Dissolve a teaspoon of light miso in a bowl with a small amount of broth.
6. Ladle in the soup and serve with toasted pumpkin seeds.
Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
1 medium spaghetti squash
1 jar roasted red peppers, rinsed
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt to taste
Handful pine nuts, toasted
1. Set up a large, saucepan or stockpot with a steamer basket and one inch of water.
2. Halve the squash, lengthwise, then in half again.
3. Place the four pieces on the steamer basket, cover, bring to a boil and steam until tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, rinse the roasted red peppers with water and place in a blender with the garlic, oil and sea salt.
5. Puree until smooth.