Pre-Workout Green Food Ideas
- 2 hours prior to your workout eat a carbohydrate heavy (60%) meal. Think organic chicken and quinoa or line-caught fish and wild rice with veggies. Vegetarian beans and rice works well too.
- No time for a real meal? Eat something that your body can easily digest like a protein drink. Choose protein powder from whey, soy, or flax. Blend it with 1/2 cup organic frozen fruit and 1 1/2 cups water. The liquefied food will allow your body to quickly use its energy without diverting blood required for digestion to the stomach (which can cause cramping and detract from your workout).
- 30 minutes before your workout, try a banana.
During Exercise Green Food Ideas
- Consistently Hydrate.
- Consider electrolytes like watered down organic fruit or tomato juice.
- Forget fiber during your workout as it may upset your stomach while you’re moving around, so save it for later.
Post-Exercise Green Food Ideas
- 30 minutes to 2 hours after you workout, eat a protein heavy (60%) balanced meal.
A handful of nuts and dried fruits can provide a post workout balanced protein/carb meal. It’s especially great when you know your post workout meal is hours away. During long days, we like to keep a small container of it in the car or purse as a healthy quick-fix snack.
In order to regulate yourself and your body’s personal needs, experiment with different foods and food combinations. Because you likely won’t remember the most effective food choices, Yang recommends that you keep a food journal, that way you can track your progress, be aware of your pitfalls, and eat consciously.