My mother always makes twice-baked potatoes for the holidays because they’re so festive, but this version uses better-for-us sweet potatoes, higher in beta-carotene and vitamin C than white ones. Sweetened with a zesty secret ingredient, these potatoes, mashed and prettily mounded in their skins, are the perfect accompaniment to a special meal.
4 sweet potatoes, well scrubbed
4 tablespoons good-quality orange marmalade
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 1 hour.
3. Cool until you can handle them, then cut off the top third of each potato. Scoop out the flesh, leaving a 1/4-inch shell.
4. Combine potato flesh with remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
5. Fill potato shells with puree. At this point, potatoes may be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for a day or so.
6. To serve, remove plastic wrap and bake potatoes in a preheated 400F oven 20 minutes until hot.