Vegan Cranberry-Orange-Nut Cookies
Crisp, moist and chewy, this cookie created by Georgene Egri of Walnut Creek, California, has the essential ingredients for the holidays: citrus, nuts and cranberries. Add to that a load of healthy ingredients and you have a win-win cookie! These cookies travel well, making them a great choice for gift-giving and lunchboxes.
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons organic sugar, divided
1/2 cup smooth, unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup light vegetable oil
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
3 tablespoons orange juice
1. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in walnuts and dried cranberries.
2. Whisk 1 cup sugar, applesauce, oil, orange zest and juice in a medium bowl until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until well blended. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Put the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar into a small flat-bottomed dish or pan. Roll the dough with floured hands (it will be very moist) into 1 1/2-inch balls, then roll in sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake the cookies until barely golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on the pan for 1 minute; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Yield: 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
Nutrition per cookie: 102 calories; 5 g fat (0 g saturated fat, 1g mono unsaturated fat); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 94 mg sodium; 24 mg potassium.
1 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Visit EatingWell.com for free quick and easy healthy recipe collections!