The biggest contribution we can make to fight global warming is to eat less meat and dairy products.
Here are some facts from a 2006 United Nations Report:
- The U.S. population is about 300 million but 10 billion land animals are slaughtered every year.
- U.S. farms produce 5 million tons of manure every day.
- Resources are wasted all along the way; pollution affects the soil, air, water, us.
- Livestock are responsible for a fifth of global warming emissions—more than the entire world’s transportation combined.
- 35 percent of the grain grown in America goes for livestock.
- When the Amazon rain forests are cut down, 70 percent of the land is used for pasture and grain production.
Photo credit: Tochichi
8 Reasons to Rock-On With Meat-Free Monday
10 Movies That Will Make You Go Vegetarian
Top 10 Eco-Friendly Reasons to Buy Organic Meat & Dairy
Factory Farming 101
3 Vegan Recipes From Alicia Silverstone