This tasty Spanish dish combines brown and basmati rices with fresh vegetables and pungent spices.
Traditionally made with seafood, this Paella is delicious with eggplant, black olives, peppers, and more ingredients rich in healthy antioxidants.
Serve as a main course with a tossed green salad.
- ½ cup long-grain brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups cubed eggplant
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1. Combine brown rice and stock in large saucepan. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and cook, covered, about 10 minutes. Add basmati rice and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400 F.
3. While rice is cooking, heat oil in a large, oven-proof skillet and add chopped onion, garlic, red pepper, green pepper, mushrooms, eggplant, olives, salt, pepper, and cumin. Saute until peppers are tender (about 5 minutes).
4. Stir tomatoes and rice mixture into vegetables and bake in 400 F oven for about 10 minutes.
Adapted from Meals that Heal, by Lisa Turner ). Copyright (c) 1996 by Lisa Turner. Reprinted by permission of Healing Arts Press/Inner Traditions.
Adapted from Meals that Heal, by Lisa Turner (Healing Arts Press, 1996).