Mushroom Barley Soup
3/41 cup barley
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small onions, diced
4 cups mushrooms, sliced
4 Tbsp. tamari
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
5 Tbsp. cashew butter
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. sea salt, to taste
1. Cook the barley in a big soup pot (one cup dry barley to three to four cups water). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until barley is completely cooked.
(This will make a hearty soup. For a thinner soup, use only 3/4 of a cup of barley.)
2. Remove barley from the pot. In the same pot, sauté garlic, onions, then mushrooms.
3. In a blender, blend 1 1/22 cups water with tamari, yeast, cashew butter and seasonings. Pour this into the soup pot.
4. Cover the blades of the blender with some cooked barley. Add water to cover the barley and blend to a creamy consistency. Add 12 more cups of water to the blender and blend. Pour this into the soup pot.
5. Add the remaining cooked barley to the soup pot. Simmer for 2530 minutes. (If soup sits for a while, the barley will absorb some of the liquid and thicken the soup. To remedy this, add more liquid and seasonings.)