When foul weather keeps kitties indoors, you can do your beloved animal friend a favor and grow her some kitty-greens to graze on. Wheat grass helps to keep cat-digestion in order, and the chlorophyll promotes fresher-smelling breath.
Even if you don’t have cats, the lush green of wheat grass brings a little spring-like beauty into our winter homes. Many photos in ultra-chic home decorating magazines feature boxes of wheat grass as accents.
It’s easy to grow your own wheat grass.
1. Buy wheat berries at your local health food store.
2. Soak 1 to 2 tablespoons of wheat berries overnight, then drain (houseplants will love the water).
3. Fill a flower pot or decorative container nearly full of potting soil. Sprinkle wheat berries evenly on top. Cover with another ¼ inch of potting soil. Keep soil moist for several days. When grass appears, place pot or box in a sunny windowsill to help the greening process.
4. As soon as the grass is several inches high, you can offer it to your feline companions.
5. Regular “haircuts” will prolong the life of your wheat grass.