There are times when it is a good idea to ground and stabilize your energy. September 11, 2001, was a time in the U.S. when huge numbers of us became ungrounded and it took a long time to settle down (and let us take a minute to honor the memory of this anniversary). While this is an obvious example of when one would expect to become ungrounded, here are some more subtle times when you may get ungrounded that may escape notice:
1. When you’re in a large crowd and you feel overwhelmed by the energy and feelings of all the people.
2. Whenever your empathy is causing you to get overwhelmed by the emotions of another person, whether it’s a close friend, a housemate who’s having a bad day, or the fellow across from you on the subway.
3. When the energy of a place or person is making you feel sick or agitated.
4. When an imbalance in your own energy is making your thoughts race or making you experience radical shifts in emotions or sensitivity.
5. When a heightened state of sensitivity causes you to feel “spacey” or severely disconnected from the world around you.
6. When circumstances have fully upset your applecart and readjustment is needed.
If you would like to learn to ground, consider this meditation: