Is it really possible to make a lighter, but still delicious, eggnog? I wasn’t so sure. I was really pleasantly surprised by this recipe, though; it does a really great job of mimicking the full-fat version. Now the only problem I’ll have this holiday season is not making too much of it!
- 2 Large eggs yolks only
- 3 1/2 Cups 1% milk
- 1/2 Cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon grated whole nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- 1/8 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Cup burbon
- 2 Tablespoons brandy
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Add the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk milk, condensed milk, flour, nutmeg and salt constantly until it comes to a boil. Temper eggs; whisk 1/3 of the milk mixture into the egg yolks, and pour the mixture back to the saucepan. Cook until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Turn off heat. Pour mixture into pitcher. Add bourbon, brandy and vanilla. Stir to combine. Cover pitcher with wax paper and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. When serving, garnish with a little grated nutmeg.
Recipe Credit: Cooking Light.
Earlier: German Spiced Cookies (Recipe)