START A PETITION34,000,000 members: the world's largest community for good

United Kingdom Plans to Expand the Use of Solar Power By 800 Percent

Green Lifestyle  (tags: environment, eco-friendly, greenliving, energy, protection )

- 923 days ago -
According to an article published on, Energy Minister Greg Barker has pledged to increase the nation's use of solar power by 800 percent. Barker released a 38-page, solar-power plan on October 8th, which reveals that he is engaged in

Select names from your address book   |   Help

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.


Christeen Anderson (652)
Monday December 16, 2013, 6:17 am
Great. Thanks for sharing.

Michael Kirkby (95)
Monday December 16, 2013, 9:32 am

Angelika R. (145)
Monday December 16, 2013, 9:48 am
Great indeed-thx! and look how ridiculous is it if this foggy damp island can do it and the southern countries overfed with sunshine do not!!

Angelika R. (145)
Monday December 16, 2013, 9:49 am
NO OFFENSE please-I love GB and usually experienced PLENTY of sunshine each time I visited! Was just exaggerating purposefully ;)

Birgit W. (156)
Monday December 16, 2013, 12:54 pm
Way to go. I love it.

Jamie Clemons (282)
Monday December 16, 2013, 1:31 pm
I would feel a lot better about it if they were not building a new massive deadly nuclear plant too.

Howard Crosse (21)
Monday December 16, 2013, 1:36 pm
It's true the UK isn't the sunniest place in the world but the 16 solar panels that I have fitted to my property still produce 40% of the electricity I use. It strikes me however that the other green alternatives such as wave power, the UK is an island after all, or wind power are possibly more suited to the UK.

Muriel Servaege (53)
Monday December 16, 2013, 1:40 pm
Thank you, Cher.

. (0)
Monday December 16, 2013, 2:18 pm
It's all good...

Julie W. (28)
Monday December 16, 2013, 8:29 pm
It makes me mad that Australia, a sunny country, is lagging behind in solar. If Germany and Britain can do it, we could too.

Elizabeth M. (66)
Monday December 16, 2013, 10:05 pm
Noted. I only hope they don't decide to put a tax on homeowners for solar power - after the fact, like a few other places have done.
Thank You Cher.

M D. (580)
Monday December 16, 2013, 10:19 pm

A F. (130)
Tuesday December 17, 2013, 1:47 am
Good on ya, UK! Now if only we could convince the dumbasses running things here to do the same...

Alan Lambert (91)
Tuesday December 17, 2013, 2:35 am
Excellent choice...

Sherri E. (128)
Tuesday December 17, 2013, 3:48 am
Great News TY Cher

Alice C. (1797)
Friday December 20, 2013, 4:36 pm
Wonderful !

Ruth R. (255)
Wednesday December 25, 2013, 6:49 am
The solar dreamer said -- The UK will go 70 percent solar in the year 2914 as planned ! The other 30 percent will be tidla and wood windmils, and some wind turbines -- some of then will be wooden. We have decided that while worshipping the creator -- that the creation might be worth taking good care of -- definitely because we live on the the creation called earth.

Bravo ! An excellent start !!

Ruth R. (255)
Wednesday December 25, 2013, 6:53 am
Good work !
Form the article:
' “New solar installations must be sensitive to public opinion and mindful of wider environmental and visual impacts,” says Barker. “The impacts of deployment on grid systems balancing, grid connectivity and financial incentives will also have to be considered, ensuring the challenges of deploying high volumes of solar PV are addressed.” '

Ruth R. (255)
Wednesday December 25, 2013, 6:56 am
That is alot of paper or computer work !
From the article:
" According to an article published on, Energy Minister Greg Barker has pledged to increase the nation’s use of solar power by 800 percent. Barker released a 38-page, solar-power plan on October 8th, which reveals that he is engaged in discussions with energy companies about how the government can accomplish this goal.

Recent research estimates that the United Kingdom will produce 10 gigawatts of solar power within the next 10 years. Some put the number as high as 20 gigawatts. This is a substantial increase from a June study that estimated the country’s output at 2.4 gigawatts. "
Or, log in with your
Facebook account:
Please add your comment: (plain text only please. Allowable HTML: <a>)

Track Comments: Notify me with a personal message when other people comment on this story

Loading Noted By...Please Wait


butterfly credits on the news network

  • credits for vetting a newly submitted story
  • credits for vetting any other story
  • credits for leaving a comment
learn more

Most Active Today in Green Lifestyle

Content and comments expressed here are the opinions of Care2 users and not necessarily that of or its affiliates.

New to Care2? Start Here.

site feedback


Problem on this page? Briefly let us know what isn't working for you and we'll try to make it right!