Start A Petition

Student Killed By Exploding Chewing Gum

Offbeat  (tags: chewing gum, odd, death )

- 3085 days ago -
A student in Ukraine died after his jaw was blown off reportedly by exploding chewing gum.

Select names from your address book   |   Help

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.


Bill C (353)
Saturday December 12, 2009, 4:24 am
Did you read the "story"? :" Russian news agency Ria Novosti said forensic tests found the chewing gum was covered with an unidentified chemical substance, thought to be some type of explosive."

Messing with explosives can get you blown up, bubble gum....not so much.

We have a bull that chews 1 piece of Joe Paloka gum eveyday....he likes it.....he has not blow up, but he snorts allot.

Kelli Stowe (216)
Saturday December 12, 2009, 4:49 am
Yes, I read the whole story. I always read the whole story before I submit it to C2NN. Geeeezzz I thought the story could maybe give some caution to chemistry students.

Laurie W (189)
Saturday December 12, 2009, 7:43 am
A sad example of what can occur if not paying attention..hopefully just that and not someone into coming up with a product to harm others.
TY Kelli

MmAway M (505)
Saturday December 12, 2009, 8:03 am
Thanks Kelli...

Yes at the site Bill I did notice that there was citric acid and another substance -- goodness this is terrible, but what was this student thinking or maybe just didn't know any better.

Now he has to deal with this problem the rest of his life and his poor parents what they must be going through.

MmAway M (505)
Saturday December 12, 2009, 8:06 am
Kelli dear...yes personally I do think you were right in submitting and getting this story never know what some of these kids are playing around with these days...

Be aware and you at least got it out for those that can view it can know what may happen and hopefully prevent their children from doing something that will end up in a disaster!

Star dear for this!!!

Larry S (645)
Saturday December 12, 2009, 10:01 am
Was this kid working for terrorists? What's next...

Pam Duarte (0)
Saturday December 12, 2009, 10:10 am

Anna K (58)
Saturday December 12, 2009, 10:48 am
Wow, what a stupid kid. But I am sorry that he died.

Timothy M (14)
Saturday December 12, 2009, 11:05 am
i find it hard to believe that this could be true, but who knows; it's in the news, afterall. i;ll have to remember to not dip my chewing gum into unidentified substances.

Michelle M (5)
Saturday December 12, 2009, 11:16 am
He should know better than to mess around with substances found in the lab. Every high schooler knows this, let alone university students. Too bad he had to pay for this lesson with his life.

Sara T (3)
Saturday December 12, 2009, 11:42 am
It's a sad story, but DUH!

Marijn Janssen (1)
Saturday December 12, 2009, 12:04 pm
That's stupid man

Cynthia Davis (340)
Saturday December 12, 2009, 1:40 pm
Thanks for this story Kelli. You never know when a story like this can make others think about what their doing.

Dawn H (102)
Thursday March 4, 2010, 6:59 am
I guess this one is a Darwin award nominee! Any chemistry student should know and practice safe chemical handling procedures! The citric acid of course is just vitamin c and relatively harmless, but to be careless enough to have other chemicals near is just asking for trouble. I do feel for the family as this was a needless death.
Or, log in with your
Facebook account:
Please add your comment: (plain text only please. Allowable HTML: <a>)

Track Comments: Notify me with a personal message when other people comment on this story

Loading Noted By...Please Wait


butterfly credits on the news network

  • credits for vetting a newly submitted story
  • credits for vetting any other story
  • credits for leaving a comment
learn more

Most Active Today in Offbeat

Content and comments expressed here are the opinions of Care2 users and not necessarily that of or its affiliates.

New to Care2? Start Here.