Start A Petition

Save Our Pets!! Know These 10 Poisonous Foods ~ C2 Daily Action

Animals  (tags: safety, pets, toxic foods, toxins )

- 2978 days ago -
We all know that pets aren't supposed to have people food. But let's face it, sometimes, it happens...something falls on the floor when you're cooking dinner, and Buddy is quickly there, vacuuming up the crumbs, or Felix steels something off the plate when

Select names from your address book   |   Help

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.


DC B (269)
Thursday March 25, 2010, 11:54 am
The 1st 2 Listed are:
Grapes and raisins
These can be toxic to dogs and cause kidney failure. Researchers say there are still many unknowns about the toxicity of grapes and raisins, including whether only certain types of dogs are affected, but it is advised not to feed grapes or raisins to dogs in any amount.

While many pet owners say they feed their pets avocados with no problems, studies have shown that their leaves, fruit, seeds and bark can contain a toxin called Persin. According to the ASPCA, the Guatemalan variety, which is commonly found in stores, contains the most toxicity.

DC B (269)
Thursday March 25, 2010, 12:01 pm
The 3rd and 4th Listed:
Yeast dough
Dough that is not cooked and contains yeast can rise in your petís stomach, causing pain, and can potentially cause the intestines to rupture. This risk diminishes once the dough is cooked.

Onions, onion powder, chives and garlic
These all can lead to gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage. All forms of onion can cause problems including dehydrated onions, raw and cooked onions. Cats are more susceptible than dogs, but it can be toxic to both.

DC B (269)
Thursday March 25, 2010, 12:32 pm
Foods with a high salt or fat content
Excessive fats can cause upset stomach and potentially inflame the pancreas causing pancreatitis. Salty foods can pose a risk for the development of sodium ion toxicosis, according to the ASPCA. Be aware that if your pet gets into food with a high fat or salt content, she could experience stomach problems including diarrhea and vomiting.

DC B (269)
Thursday March 25, 2010, 1:10 pm
Left-over Bones
Left-over bones pose a choking hazard to pets, and they can also splinter and puncture your petís gut or intestine. Additionally, do not feed your pet undercooked meat or eggs, as they can contain harmful bacteria.

Alice C (1797)
Thursday March 25, 2010, 3:06 pm
Thank you for the post !

Glenda J (158)
Thursday March 25, 2010, 3:26 pm
This is excellent, thanks DCBASS

DC B (269)
Thursday March 25, 2010, 3:28 pm
Sorry this is taking so long... am involved in a hogwrastle in Feedback over Butterflies! *sheesh!!*
Sugarless Candies (products sweetened with xylitol)
This compound can cause liver damage and even death in some more vulnerable dogs. Xylitol is in many products including gum, candy, sugar-free cookies and toothpaste.


Mandi T (375)
Thursday March 25, 2010, 3:42 pm
So happy to see this post DC. Many people are not aware of these foods that will poison or seriously damage organs in pets.
Posting to F.B. as well.
TY so much xx

DC B (269)
Thursday March 25, 2010, 3:52 pm
Macadamia Nuts
These nuts can cause weakness, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs. Symptoms generally last up to two days, and usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion.

Maggie Amaya (201)
Thursday March 25, 2010, 4:02 pm
Verg good info! Another site that someone sent me a while back is: 25 Common Foods That Can Be Toxic for Your Pet It's the same ones listed above, plus some more.

MmAway M (505)
Thursday March 25, 2010, 5:24 pm
Dang....had a super comment, then went to the site and the lap top shut off the internet, had to get into a back door to my message and find your news...What a hassle.

Anyway, wanted to say this is totally important, there are SO many foods that are TOXIC and deadly that being a dog owner for MANY years I was a fault on some.

If you own a dog, check out all of the foods, there was a segment done on one of my Dog Newsletters that was outstanding!!!


Past Member (0)
Thursday March 25, 2010, 10:56 pm
I use to give my dog a grape to chase around from time to time, until I found out, they are a big no,no. Thank you for the info on the other things.

Susan Flynn (0)
Friday March 26, 2010, 12:28 pm
Scary stuff! Lets not love our dogs to death!! Check this out for great info that can save the life of your dog.... Check back, dog lovers, for more great articles about dog safety, advocacy, training and more!

Mo D (76)
Wednesday March 31, 2010, 5:44 am
Very Interesting. Thanks
Or, log in with your
Facebook account:
Please add your comment: (plain text only please. Allowable HTML: <a>)

Track Comments: Notify me with a personal message when other people comment on this story

Loading Noted By...Please Wait


butterfly credits on the news network

  • credits for vetting a newly submitted story
  • credits for vetting any other story
  • credits for leaving a comment
learn more

Most Active Today in Animals

Content and comments expressed here are the opinions of Care2 users and not necessarily that of or its affiliates.

New to Care2? Start Here.