START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x

Top 10 Reasons Why Cutting Poverty Programs to Resolve the Fiscal Showdown Is a Bad Idea


US Politics & Gov't  (tags: americans, poverty, ethics, politics, fiscal cliff, healthcare, housing, government, economy )

Carrie
- 606 days ago - americanprogress.org
As the fiscal showdown continues--with a little more than a month before a series of onerous automatic federal spending cuts and tax hikes go into effect--our national values and priorities are once again being tested.



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.

Comments

Roseann D. (178)
Monday November 26, 2012, 10:08 am
I don't see the 1% spending those tax cuts on job creation. What I did see them spending OUR tax dollars on was deceptive SuperPac ads to try to steal elections to the tune of almost 1 Trillion. That's a whole lot of jobs that could have been created. Another great reason to let the Bush Tax Cuts expire.
 

Sue Matheson (69)
Monday November 26, 2012, 10:38 am
thanks
 

Florence Eaise (132)
Monday November 26, 2012, 1:52 pm
What a load of BS why is it that when ever the gov needs money they always look to take it away from the most needy its disgusting i have two reasons why these cuts shouldnt be made 1-hunger and 2-health why not get some extra money by cutting spending they would save millions at least i wish our gov would quick picking on the less foutunate
 

Lois Jordan (55)
Monday November 26, 2012, 5:22 pm
Noted. Absolutely right Roseann & Florence! I say let the Sequestration agreed to by both parties stand. Obama can then go to Congress with middle-class tax cuts and other needs that the GOP would look very bad not agreeing to.
 

JL A. (272)
Monday November 26, 2012, 8:09 pm
The arguments here are reminiscent of the earlier cuts for corporations so they could invest in their equipment and improve their productivity for us all to reap economic benefits...which started a buying each other out frenzy radically reducing the number of players in the marketplace (e.g., number of insurance companies shrank by about 90%) and the consumer benefits from real competition where the public was on the losing end. Luckily what Lois says is true, so the power in the negotiations is distributed differently this year than in the past couple of years.
 

Robert O. (12)
Tuesday November 27, 2012, 12:58 am
The problem is the GOP and the 1% don't understand poverty (and don'r want to) since they have more money and ease of living, but obviously don't appreciate it as evidenced by their constant whining about why certain people should not have equality and the right to choose, or why the 99% are inferior. The other thing is the GOP and he 1% arrogantly assume that their agendas and experiences are the measure of all that which is important and meaningful in life and let's face it; they hate poor people (among others).
 

Jennifer C. (172)
Tuesday November 27, 2012, 4:36 am
Thanks.
 

Ann B. (140)
Tuesday November 27, 2012, 4:42 pm
noted - thanks
 

Theodore Shayne (56)
Wednesday November 28, 2012, 4:47 pm
The problem is not the social assistance programs it's Glass-Steagal; Delaware/Kale;capital gains; 17% on every Federal dollar issued into the private banks overseas and in New York. It's corporatism run amok and buying off the political will of the leaders with huge amounts of cash. It is about financial and spending reform by government. The poor always get blamed. Fix those and you won't have to cut programs. It could actually lead to a nice tidy GDP and surpluses too.
 
Or, log in with your
Facebook account:
Please add your comment: (plain text only please. Allowable HTML: <a>)

Track Comments: Notify me with a personal message when other people comment on this story


Loading Noted By...Please Wait

 


butterfly credits on the news network

  • credits for vetting a newly submitted story
  • credits for vetting any other story
  • credits for leaving a comment
learn more

Most Active Today in US Politics & Gov't

Carrie B.

Carrie B.
Carrie's contributions:
Stories noted recently: 498
Stories submitted: 3231
Front Page stories: 2972




 
Content and comments expressed here are the opinions of Care2 users and not necessarily that of Care2.com or its affiliates.