Baby Badger Survives Washing Machine

Not long ago, a young badger was running for her life. Other badgers were chasing her, as they fight violently at times, and this little one was desperate for a hiding spot. She crawled through an air vent on an old farmhouse and chose the front loading washing machine as a dark and quiet place to conceal herself.  Only she did that job too well and no one realized she was inside when a load of laundry was tossed in on top of her until the load was complete.

Hydestile Resident Animals (visit their website here) in the UK is a wildlife refuge run by Graham and Lyn Cornick and a few volunteers. Though Graham and Lyn went into semi-retirement a few years back, they are always ready to help a new patient in an emergency.

This video shows Graham caring for the rescued badger who is safe and fully recovered (there is no upsetting footage). Graham is stunned that the young badger was able to survive the wash and credits her luck to the fact that the washer was set on an economy setting.

Though this rescue is unusual, small animals do frequently jump into washers and dryers and not every story ends this well.  If you have a puppy, kitten or any other small animal in your home, please pay special attention to the following hazards:

4 High-Risk Household Areas for Animals

  1. Washers and dryers. Always check to see that your animals are accounted for before beginning a cycle.  This goes especially for moms with toddlers who might think it’s a clever idea to put kitty in the dryer.
  2. Refrigerators:  Yes, it’s true. Kittens are notorious for jumping into an open fridge undiscovered.
  3. Stove tops: If you have animals who can jump or climb, you must take great care in guarding your stove top.  One suggestion is to put these small pets in a bedroom for a while during meal preparation time to prevent any tragedies that can occur in a split second when you turn to answer the phone or a knock at the door.
  4. Sheds & garages: Too often small pets and wildlife can become trapped in these areas.  It happens in an instant.  The shed might be left open for a couple of hours while you’re raking or mowing the lawn, and without noticing your guest, you shut the door for the night.  It could be days or weeks before you open the shed again and in that time the animal will go through a dreadful ordeal which he may not survive.  It’s best to always shut the garage and shed door immediately behind you and do a quick inspection before you leave.

Brought to you by the Harmony Fund international animal rescue network.

Related Stories:

Snowy Roof Will Collapse on 150 Dogs & Cats

Baby Opossums Saved from Walls of House

Chica the Duct Taped Doberman Becomes World’s Happiest Dog




Lauren A.
Lauren A5 years ago

So glad she made it! Thanks for posting, lovely article :)

Anita Wisch
Anita Wisch5 years ago

Amazing story......

natalie n.
natalie n5 years ago

thank goodness she survived! there are many small traps in houses where animals can get into that even babies cant, certainly a good reminder for all ;)

Sheri D.
Sheri D5 years ago

I'm glad he survived!

Susan Griffiths
Susan Griffiths5 years ago

Always good to be reminded of the basic precautions we should observe to protect our own animals an any visiting - and we should all make a point of perisdically reminding our friends of these dangers. And, I agree whole heartedly with Ness W. "And our Coalition 'government' (read as Dictatorship) is trying to kill at least 70% of these little fellas.......
All because of the propaganda from the cattle farmers (NOT all, but enough)".

susan thornton
susan Thornton5 years ago

Really glad she made it, bless

Danuta Watola
Danuta W5 years ago

Thank you for the information

Andrew C.
Andrew C5 years ago

Very glad she made it and is now safe!

Carrie Anne Brown

glad she survived thanks for sharing :)

Stella Nobrega-Garcia

Thanks for posting!