12 Christmas Dangers For Your Pets

It is the season to enjoy all that festive food and drink. Those delicious chocolates, special cakes and alcohol, may not be the healthiest things to eat, but we won’t get seriously sick. This is not the case for our cats and dogs, a very small amount of some of our festive food could cause poisoning or even death.

Learn about the holiday foods and decorations that can harm your pets.

Note: If your pet has consumed a dangerous item, contact your veterinarian immediately.

178445624

Chocolate, bones and nuts, can be toxic or even fatal to pets.

1. Chocolate is toxic to all animals and in particular small dogs. It can cause vomiting, hyperactivity, heart arrhythmias, tremors and seizures.  Chocolate contains caffeine and methylxanthines; the darker the chocolate the more toxic. It is interesting that darker chocolate is BETTER for us humans and you can make your own healthy chocolate.

2. Unbaked Bread Dough, if eaten by your pet, can expand in the stomach causing a bellyache. The yeast creates alcohol can cause seizures and respiratory failure.

3. Bones, especially from poultry and fat trimmings, either cooked or uncooked, are dangerous for dogs. A dog can choke on bones which can splinter and cause lacerations in your dog’s digestive system.

4. Spices such as nutmeg can cause seizures and even death. Sage can cause vomiting.

5. Macadamia nuts and moldy walnuts can cause seizures, lethargy, vomiting and loss of muscle control. Dogs can experience an elevated heart rate that can lead to death. Read how good mold free walnuts can be so very healthy for us humans.

 

Those raisins are tasty but not good for your pet.

Those raisins are tasty but not good for your pet.

6. Coffee full of caffeine can create seizures, abnormal heart rhythm and death in pets. All caffeinated drinks can have the same effect.

7. Fruitcake filled raisins and currants and yeast cam sometimes prove quite dangerous for your cats and dogs. Small amounts of these dried fruits can make dogs sick and larger amounts can cause kidney failure.

8. Onions and garlic in any form can damage red blood cells in pets leading to anemia. miastletoeSome holiday plants are poisonous and decorations can cause ill health.

9. Holly can cause intense vomiting, diarrhea and depression.

10. Mistletoe can cause significant vomiting and diarrhea, erratic behavior, hallucinations and even death when ingested. Mistletoe kissing can be beneficial to your health, but pets just eat it.

11. Tinsel, although not toxic, if it is consumed it be fatal as it twists and bunches inside your pet’s intestines. Cats find it very attractive.

12. Strands of Lights are shocking when a pet bites into one. That one bite has been known to cause seizures and a build-up of fluid in their lungs.

It is Important That We Take Care Of Our Pet Friends.

In their innocence our pets can easily eat some of the above. Dogs like to copy us and fit in with whatever we are doing. Cats are simply very curious and will try anything. These traits of cats and dogs are some of the† reasons why we love them so much. So let’s take care of them this Christmas with healthy treats just for them.

Carnberry ginger bar.  Heaven in a gluten and sugar free recipe.

Cranberry Ginger bar. Heaven in a gluten and sugar free recipe.

Take Care of Yourself Too

You don’t want to suffer either! Your pets are very sensitive to your moods and well being. Here are some healthy yummy treats for YOU!

Festive Fruit Punch Non-alcoholic punch which is good for you and won’t harm you pets.

Cranberry Ginger Bars† Anything with ginger takes great but this is a particularly heavenly combination.

Apple Cake with Cinnamon – Gluten Free† This is a deeply satisfying cake filled with nourishing ingredients. It took me five tries to get this just right!

58 comments

Melania Padilla
Melania P3 years ago

Sharing!

SEND
Zahra I.
Zahra I4 years ago

Thanks for the article!!

SEND
Marc P.
Marc P4 years ago

Thank you! Merry Christmas!

SEND
Slava R.
Slava R4 years ago

k

SEND
Marion Friedl
Marion Friedl4 years ago

I´m glad I don´t have enough space here for an Xmas tree and the decorations, with my 3 cats, there´s a big cat tree standing in the middle of the living/sleeping room, and I take good care if I eat macadamia nuts or so, one thing that´s been missing´s avocado, it´s not really a typical fruit (yes, avocados are fruits for real, not vegetables) you eat on Xmas, but you can get it all through the year, so maybe you´ll eat some of them at this time, too, better keep it out of reach of your cats and dogs!!! Merry Xmas to everyone...

SEND
Barbara D.
Past Member 4 years ago

The two things we see most frequently is tinsel and broken ornaments that cats/dogs have ingested.
You should have an emergency hospital phone number always, but especially during the holiday season when there are so many temptations and you're so distracted.

SEND
Magdalena J.
Past Member 4 years ago

Thank you!

SEND
Beverly C.
Cathy K4 years ago

Thanks for the Reminder.

SEND
Mary T.
Mary T4 years ago

thanks for the information..have a safe holiday season

SEND
Miriam O.

THANK YOU for your time and for posting!

SEND