What’s Your Sugar IQ? (Quiz)

Sweet sugar… some of us adore it, some of us avoid it, and all of us know that we probably shouldn’t eat too much of it. But how much is too much, and where does it come from? Take this quiz to brush up on your sugar trivia!

Question #1: Where was sugar first produced?
A. The Caribbean
B. South America
C. India
D. Europe

Answer: C. India.
The first sugar was made starting around 500 BC, in what is now India. The process involved crushing sugarcane into a sugar syrup, and then cooling the syrup until it turned into easily-transportable crystals, known as khanda.



Question #2: What’s the daily recommended intake for sugar?
A. 1-4 teaspoons
B. 5-9 teaspoons
C. 10-16 teaspoons
D. 17-23 teaspoons

Answer: B. 5-9 teaspoons.
For adult women, the recommended intake is 5 teaspoons (20 grams) of sugar per day; for adult men, it’s 9 teaspoons (36 grams). For comparison, the average American consumes 21 teaspoons a day.



Question #3: True or False: Artificial sweeteners, like aspartame, can help you lose weight.

Answer: False.
While artificial sweeteners are meant to give you the taste of sweetness without the calories, some studies have shown that consuming artificial sweeteners is actually linked to weight gain and overeating. It may be safer to stick to natural sweeteners like sugar or honey—or no sweeteners at all!



Question #4: Which country produces the most sugar?
A. Thailand
B. United States
C. India
D. Brazil
E. China

Answer: D. Brazil.
The country of Brazil exported 23,800 metric tons of sugar in 2011. (Thailand was next, with 8,700 metric tons.)



Question #5: True or False: All sugars are equally as bad for you.

Answer: False.
While refined sugars have been linked to obesity and diabetes, there are many naturally-occurring sugars in fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy and even whole grains, which can help provide the body with healthy energy—as long as you don’t overdo your sugar intake.



Question #6: What is the number-one source of added sugar in our diets?
A. Fruits and vegetables
B. Bread products
C. Beverages
D. Candy

Answer: C. Beverages.
Those sugary sodas are way more significant than most people think!





Question #7: Which of the following are the most common sources for sugar?
A. Sugarcane
B. Corn
C. Sugar grapes
D. Sugar beets

Answer: A & D. Sugarcane and sugar beets.
Sugarcane accounts for roughly 80% of sugar produced, while sugar beets make up the other 20%. (High fructose corn syrup, which comes from corn, consists of 24% water and is not technically considered a sugar.)




Question #8: Which of these is not a natural sugar?
A. Sucrose
B. Sucralose
C. Fructose
D. Galactose

Answer: B. Sucralose.
Sucralose is better known as the base of Splenda-brand artificial sweeteners.



Question #9: True or False: High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is often used instead of sugar because it has fewer calories than sugar.

Answer: False.
HFCS is used so commonly because it is much cheaper to produce than sugar, due to U.S. corn subsidies and tariffs on imported sugar.



Question #10: On a product label, one gram of sugar is roughly:
A. Ľ teaspoon
B. ˝ teaspoon
C. 1 teaspoon
D. 2 teaspoon

Answer: A. Ľ teaspoon.
That means that one teaspoon of sugar is about 4 grams. A 20-ounce soda has about 65g of sugars, or over 16 teaspoons of sugar.


Sources: Wikipedia / Rodale / WebMD



America’s Sugar Addiction (Infographic)
What’s Your Salt IQ? (Quiz)
19 Sugars & Sweeteners: Which Are Healthy?


Kathy Perez
Kathy Johnson5 years ago

wow. my iq sucks lol. very informative. i learned a few things! thanks!

allie cat
allie cat5 years ago

70 % :)

Beverly G.
bev g5 years ago


Malgorzata Zmuda
Malgorzata Zmuda5 years ago

Wyszło mi całkiem dobrze, wiedza jest, ale dostosować się do niej jest trudno - lubię słodkie (chociaż nie przesadzam).

Mukesh R.
Mukesh Ramteke5 years ago


Melissah Chadwick
Past Member 5 years ago


John S.
Past Member 5 years ago

Thanks, interesting.

Ela V.
Ela V5 years ago

70%, but I could guess the answer for the first question, so 80%

Rhonda Bird
Rhonda B5 years ago

Interesting. I didn't do very well.

Sue M.
Sue M5 years ago